Sunday, December 30, 2018

2019 Reading Goals

The year is coming to an end and it is time not just to reflect on what I have accomplished as a reader this year, but also what I hope to accomplish next year. So here are some of my 2019 reading goals.

Although 2018 was likely my most productive year reading wise, I found myself compelled to read things I wasn't super interested in, having signed up for some challenge or trying desperately to finish an awards longlist. Toward the end of the year, I tried to focus on what I wanted to read rather than trying to check off books from some list. I don't think I'll get away from that completely (see below) but I definitely want to focus on some diversifying what I read and what determines what I read next.

Firstly, I will not be doing the Book Riot READ HARDER challenge. Every year the folks at the website put together a list of 24 categories aimed at encouraging people to go beyond their comfort zone. Every year I commit to do it, every year I fall short of reading from each of the specific categories. Frankly I don't think the challenge (which this year feels way too specific) encourages me to do what it wants. I already read quite diversely, reading more female authors than male, consciously aiming to read more writer's of colour, queer authors, works in translation etc. I will continue to do so and consciously think about reading diversely when I decide what is next for my eyes.

Secondly, I really want to explore some new genres more aggressively. I am a lover of literary fiction and will continue to gobble it up but I really want to read more crime/mystery, fantasy and science fiction. I am committing to read Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie series as well as a bunch of others from the genre on my Kobo. In terms of fantasy, a genre I am totally uncomfortable with, I'll start with Marlon James' much anticipated Black Leopard, Red Wolf, which has been described as the African Game of Thrones. For Science Fiction, we'll see what comes out, but I do hope to finish the Three Body Problem trilogy and maybe tackle some classics like Ursala K. LeGuin.

Another hope is to follow more closely the New York Times Book Review Podcast. I was so impressed with their Top Ten this year and if I had paid closer attention to their weekly show I may have opened these books up sooner. I know, this kind of goes against my no lists goal but maybe if I catch good stuff earlier on I won't be beholden to lists at the end of the year.

One place where I know lists will remain a burden will be for awards. This year I read long and short listed books from the Women's Prize for Fiction, the Man Booker International Prize, the Man Booker Prize, the Giller Prize and the National Book Award. I never pressured myself to read the entire list before the award was handed out and I liked that more relaxed approach. I'll try to repeat this method in 2019.

In terms of this page, I'll try to keep on reviewing the books that really impress me and make regular booktube videos about a variety of topics. We'll see how that works out.

Anyways, here is to another great year in reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment