Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Book Clubs: Adding structure to my obsession

So although I thoroughly enjoy discussing books, it is hard to get opportunities to really explore what you are reading or have read. Most of our conversations happen at the water cooler, in FB chat, or wherever. Up until this point, I haven't been able to join any book clubs to get deeper into books.

Thankfully this is soon to end. I have gathered a small group of bookish friends and set one up and I have to say I am super excited. Firstly, it is going to be a great experience chatting about books with friends (obviously). Secondly, I hope it will push me to read new books that I wouldn't have considered on my own. Although I have chosen the first book for the group, we'll be making future readings more democratically.

We've chosen to read Miriam Toews' All My Puny Sorrows, which I have just finished. I won't get into too much details about the novel here (i'll save my review for after the club meeting) but it was great and tackled a subject matter (depression) that I found personally moving. There are so many themes and issues that are broached by Toews that I am confident we'll have plenty to chat about.

Anyways, I will be doing a little bit of research about how to introduce a book at one of these things. I have already listened to the Dear Book Nerd podcast on the subject of book clubs, so that was a good start, but if anyone has any ideas or things that worked for them please do share.

No comments:

Post a Comment